Too often I see marketing treated as an event that happens and not a process. The truth is marketing isn’t really an event, it’s an ongoing thing that needs to be tweaked and continually improved.
I want you to be a marketing ninja. that means you’ll need to continually look at what’s working and more importantly what’s not working. When you find something that’s not working in the words of the famous Bob Newhart, STOP IT.
I know from first hand experience how hard it is to let go of a marketing idea and move on. I know how frustrating it is for you to put in hours and hours and find out that what you thought was a great idea, wasn’t that great of an idea after all.
In today’s video I want to help you find some new ways of looking at your marketing program. When you do this, you’ll be taking another step towards creating a sale ready business, even if you have no interest in selling.
Too often I see marketing treated as an event and not a process. The truth is, marketing isn’t really an event, it’s an ongoing thing that needs to be tweaked and continually improved.
You know, I want you to be a marketing ninja. That means you’ll need to continually look at what’s working, and more importantly, what’s not working. When you find something that’s not working, in the words of the famous Bob Newhart, ‘Stop it!’
I know that from firsthand experience how hard it is to let go of a marketing idea and move on. I know how frustrating it is for you to put in hours and hours and find out that what you thought was a great idea, wasn’t that great of an idea at all.
So in today’s video, I wanna help you find some new ways at looking at your marketing program. When you do this, you’ll be taking another step towards creating a sale ready business even if you have no interest in selling.
So let’s jump right in.
- So number one, I want you to know that marketing is a process and not a destination. You know, marketing is something that keeps going on and on and on and on, and what you’re gonna find is that if you had something that was working really well, for whatever reason, it may stop working and you wanna be able to move on and have a methodology so you’re evaluating what’s working and what’s not working.
- Number two, marketing needs to be tested. It needs to be tested and tested and tested and tested. You have to say, “Okay, here’s my idea and here’s another idea. And let’s test those two ideas against each other.” But the thing that’s really important when you’re doing these tests, is that you’re not testing two or three things at a time, you’re only testing one thing at a time. And when you’re doing your testing, here’s what I want you to think about, I want you to think about, fail fast, fail cheap.
- Number three, the mantra with marketing is test, test, test, and then test some more. Now, we’ve already talked about testing and why it needs to be tested, but the truth is, the destination that you’re gonna be doing as far as marketing, is you’re not gonna have a test and say, “I’m done,” you’re gonna test and constantly say, “What can I do better?”
- Number four, make sure you start with the end in mind. This is so important. So many people I know will start a marketing campaign and they don’t really have a good sense for what they’re trying to accomplish in that case. Know what you want to accomplish and know where your marketing should go. If you don’t know this, you’re gonna end up in a destination you probably didn’t wanna go to in the first place.
- Number five, remember, marketing is to create awareness, it’s not meant to create customers. Sales creates customers. So when you’re creating awareness, your marketing should not be a sales pitch, it should be, “Here is what’s unique about us. Here is the problem that we solve for you and this is how we go about doing it.” You know, also make sure that when you’re doing your marketing, you’re not making yourself the hero of your story. You wanna be the guide. Someone’s hiring you to guide you along the way, they’re not hiring you because you’re such a wonderful person. So stop talking about you, start talking about the problems that you solve for others.
- Number six, know that marketing should talk about the big problem you solve for your customers. You know, this is such an important thing. Too often, I see marketers talk about features and features and features. In fact, I was just on a podcast last week and I was talking with somebody and they kept going back to what all their features are that people would be interested in. And I kept saying to them, “What’s the problem that you’re solving?” Nobody really cares about the features, they care about the problem you’re solving and then, they may wanna know how you go about doing it. So here’s a little bit off topic, remember, revenue comes from both sales and marketing. And I want you to think about having what I call a chief revenue officer in your company. Now, a chief revenue officer is the type of person who is going to help you evaluate all the stuff that creates revenue in your business. That will be marketing, sales, customer service and innovation. So if you do those four things and you have them all under one umbrella, you’re gonna have a much, much better chance of having people work together to solve the problems in how to have a great marketing program which tees up an even better sales program.
So I want you to have a marketing program that tees people to do business with your company. This is a step you need to take to create a sale ready company. And remember, having a company that other people wanna buy is something you always wanna have, whether you plan to sell or not.
So thanks for stopping by today. I hope you take a minute and let me know, what you think about having a strategic marketing program in your company would look like. And while you’re at it, why don’t you DOWNLOAD our Free eBook on Strategic Marketing? You’ll find all sorts of useful tips on how to only sell to your very, very, very best customers.
So this is Josh Patrick, you’re at The Sustainable Business. Thanks a lot for stopping by. I hope to see you back here really soon.