One of the things I like to do is ask people to send me their websites when I connect with them on LinkedIn. I do this for two reasons. The first is I want to learn more about their business and second, I want to see how they present themselves to the public.
The second part is more a curiosity and a way for me to gain insight to what business owners think is a good way to present their company to the world. The unfortunate thing is many of those website, in fact most of them have a terrible message. Too many of them put themselves in the hero role and very paint their customers as the hero’s.
That’s what this week’s video is all about. It’s about changing up how you talk to and about your customers. It’s about how we can communicate with our customers and potential customers and put them in the role of the hero.
One of the strange things I like to do is ask people to send me their websites when I connect with them on LinkedIn. I do this for two reasons. The first is I wanna learn more about their business and how their business runs and second, I wanna see how they present themselves to the public.
The second part is more of a curiosity in a way for me to gain insight to a business owners think is a good way to present their company to the world. The unfortunate thing is many of those websites in fact, most of them have a terrible message. Too many of those websites put the company or the person in the hero role and they don’t paint their customers as heroes.
Now that sounds like jargon and we’re going to get into that in a minute. But it’s a really, really important thing you do not want to have your company be the hero of your website.
I know that sounds counterintuitive, I know it’s something that you think you do want, but you really don’t want it, why? Because your customers don’t really care about you. Here’s what they do care about. They care about what you can provide for them and that’s what this week’s video is all about. It’s about changing up how you talk to and about your customers. It’s about how we can communicate with our customers and potential customers and put them in the role of hero instead of ourselves. You know, this sounds confusing and it did the first time I heard about it, stay with me while we jumped right in. So let’s start with the concept of the hero’s journey and how it works.
Now, the hero’s journey is how any movie you’ve ever seen. Now my favorite example for the hero journey is Star Wars. We have Luke Skywalker and we have Yoda. Luke is the hero and Yoda is the guide. When you think about your relationships with your business, who would you wanna be? I don’t know about you, but I want to be Yoda and I want my customers to be Luke because Yoda and when I’m playing Yoda, I can help my customers get to an outcome, but if it’s all about what I know and the customer just comes along for a ride, we’re not likely to get as good an outcome as we can when the customer is the hero and I’m Yoda.
So when you talk about you and your company on the homepage of your website, are you setting up your company up to be Luke or are you setting up your company to be Yoda? Your customers don’t want you to be luke, they want you to be Yoda and to provide a solution and guide them through that solution. That’s where the role of the guide comes in.
So here’s what happens when you become the guide.
- Your customers will see their problems and challenges laid out for them in a way they understand.
- Number two, as a guide, you can easily show empathy towards your customers. When you’re the hero, heroes are never especially empathetic, but the guides are always empathetic because they’ve been through or experienced many of the issues that our heroes have done and we’re helping them get through that problem and go the other side.
- You can meet them where they are and not be intimidating. If I’m the hero and I’m the great guide who knows all, which is a really good thing for our ego, but it doesn’t help people feel comfortable working around you. Have you ever wondered when you go see somebody talk, how they talk about all the bad things that happened earlier in their life and the lessons that they learned along the way? That’s showing vulnerability so you can meet people where they are and not where they think you are, because frankly, the truth is all of us are a much less good at what we think you are than what we really are.
- So here’s what I want you to do, I want you to spend 5% talking about you and 95% talking about your customers. Every time I see I or we on a website, I know that the company is saying, we’re the heroes we’re great, you need to listen to us. But when I see people, you and yours, I know we’re talking to the customer about where they are.
- When you’re focusing on your customer and what they want you’re helping them figure out whether you’re the right company for them to work with.
- You’re showing your customer when you focus on them that you have an easy solution for their problems, because you’re talking about the solutions for their problems, you’re talking about where they are and you’re talking about how they can get to where they wanna go.
So here’s what I want you to do.
- Number one, I’m a big fan of Donald Miller’s, Marketing Made Easy course. He’s now doing the course online and it costs $995. I believe it’s about the best two days I’ve spent in a marketing course in a very, very long time. We’re using his framework for all sorts of stuff that’s making our communications with you I hope a lot more clear.
- Number two, started looking at all the websites you see and ask yourself who’s the hero on the website? And if you were to design this website, how would you go about designing it differently? Sometimes I’m talking to people on LinkedIn and I asked them to send me their websites I’ll offer them to have that conversation. Not because I’m trying to have a conversation about marketing our services, or becoming a marketing company, which we’re not but I want folks, if I find the company interesting and have a different viewpoint of how they present themselves to the public and I get to learn about other people’s thought processes when I do that.
- And number three, have a conversation with us about how you can change the language you use when talking with your customers. We have a link below this video where you can set up a free 20 minute call with me, I hope you take advantage of that.
So after you’ve done these three things, leave a comment below and let me know what you think about talking to your customers in a different way. And while you’re at it, click on the button below and SET A TIME for us to talk.
So this is Josh Patrick, you’re at the sustainable business. Thanks a lot for stopping by. I hope to see you back here really soon.